The newest robotic pool cleaner to be launched by Maytronics, the 2017 Dolphin Premier is designed to meet the changing needs of pool owners everywhere. Powerful without compromising on energy efficiency and designed with the latest technologies and features, this pool cleaner offers an impressive clean, but we did come across a couple of issues to be aware of.
Features At A Glance
- Plug and play operation
- Designed to clean pools of all shapes and up to 55” in length
- Cleans all pool surfaces including fiberglass, tile, concrete, vinyl-lined and gunite
- Microprocessor controlled SmartNav that allows it to calculate optimal pattern for faster cleaner with improved efficiency
- Reduces energy costs by about 87% – 90%
- Comes with 60 feet cable made from thermoplastic rubber
- 360 degree cable swivel ensures that the cord remains completely tangle free
- Power scrubs and vacuums debris of all sizes from tiny green algae to medium sized debris and larger sized leaves
- Vacuums even in reverse position for enhanced efficiency
- Studies water line elevation for better water line cleaning
- Delivers superior maneuverability, agility and climbing performance
- Powered by dual 24V brushless DC energy-efficient, long-life motors
- Aggressive cleaning action is delivered by dual power rotating, scrubbing brushes
- Dry weight is 22 lbs
Capable of reducing energy costs by up to 90%, the 2017 Dolphin Premier is one of the most energy efficient robotic pool cleaners available. It uses a highly advanced 24 Volt DC motor, which is high performing without compromising on energy efficiency. This ensures that you enjoy superb user experience without worrying about escalating energy consumption.
The cost of operating this unit works out to about 5 cents per hour. Considering the device cleans quickly and thoroughly, you won’t see much difference in your energy bills.
This pool cleaner comes packed with several advanced features:
SmartNav intelligent pool surface scanning
SmartNav technology delivers highly optimized covered of the pool surface, taking pool cleaning to a whole new level.
When dropped into the pool, the advanced microprocessor takes a couple of seconds to scan the pool and determine the best navigation strategy for complete and efficient coverage. This is unlike most other robotic pool cleaners that clean the pool surface aimlessly, leaving behind several patches that are not touched at all.
Multi-media filtration system
The 2017 Dolphin is the only robotic pool cleaner that offers users the option of 4 different types of filtration media to suit different cleaning needs – oversize debris bag, standard size cartridges, micro-cartridges and disposable debris bags.
The oversized debris bag is designed to remove the larger sized twigs and leaves from the pool. It’s just what you need if you have a lot of trees surrounding the pool and you are using it after a long gap.
The standard size cartridge works great to remove mid and small sized particles such as small twigs, leaves, bugs and seeds.
The micro-cartridges have ultra-fine filters that do a superb job of cleaning algae and other fine debris from the pool surfaces.
A lot of thought has gone into incorporating the various media types without making it inconvenient or tedious for the user to change from one to another. Changing the filters is super simple and does not take more than a couple of seconds. That time spent is totally worth it as using the right media for the job ensures that the cleaning will be thorough.
HyperGrip rubber tracks
Most robotic pool cleaners have wheels, which work well when cleaning the pool floor. However, they simply do not have enough grip when climbing the walls, so they lose traction and fall, leaving the walls cleaned only halfway.
The Dolphin Premier overcomes this shortfall by ditching the wheels altogether. This device has strong-grip rubber tracks instead. These rubber tracks grip the wall with surprising strength, allowing the unit to climb the walls all the way to the top so the walls are cleaned thoroughly when the clean cycle is completed.
The device cleans, scrubs and micro-filters every square inch of the pool surface thoroughly, from the floor, walls, coves and waterline to the most difficult to reach spots in the pool.
Patented 360° anti-tangle swivel
The cable swivel uses a proprietary design that allows the cable to twist and turn in any direction without any getting entangling. This allows the system to move underwater easily without getting into a tangled heap at the bottom of the pool.
This pool cleaner is conveniently designed with only five modular parts. This makes it easy to remove and replace just the damaged part instead of having to repair or replace the entire system in case of a breakdown.
- Powerful yet energy efficient
- SmartNav intelligent pool scanning
- HyperGrip rubber tracks that give the unit superior vertical agility
- Modular design that makes repairs and replacement easier and cheaper
- Multi-media filtration system
- 360° anti-tangle swivel
- 3 year full warranty that is not limited to cycles or hours
- Relatively higher priced as compared to other robotic pool cleaners
- The caddy must be bought separately, which adds to the total cost
- Does not come with a remote control, which could be another expense if you want the additional convenience that a remote control offers
What others are saying
This product has got mixed reviews from users, though with a larger proportion of positive reviews.
Many users claim it is the best cleaner in the market for the price, advanced features and warranty. The outstanding cleaning capabilities of the device have been mentioned repeatedly by several users.
Is it for you?
This Dolphin is an excellent choice if you do not mind paying a premium for a feature-filled robotic pool cleaner with advanced technology. The modular design can be particularly appealing if you are a DIY enthusiast.